Monday, December 7, 2009

Reflections - Little Notes

Forgive me a sinner.

It's absolutely amazing to me how my girls can go from angels to demons in a matter of moments, but then this is not unlike myself when denied my own way. I often talk with my daughters about selfishness and the "I wants". I reference the little girl in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as an example of the "I wants" and how the little girl is a "bad nut".

Last night a great battle of wills took place in the forest of Pixley (our street). An angel (my daughter) decided that she wanted her way. The fight was short and I of course prevailed. The angel sat weeping in the other room while I let the consequences of her actions take root. I proceeded with the bedtime routine as usual and brought her back in when it was appropriate. In a short while both angels were asleep and I went back downstairs to finish up, relax, etc.

As with most "growing opportunities", I tried to contemplate the evening as I was winding down; thinking through my thoughts, words, and actions. There was nothing out of the ordinary regarding this battle and after some tea and the last half of a movie my wife and I turned in.

In the early morning hours I got up and prepared for work. As I was packing up my gear I noticed a little piece of paper stuffed into the same pocket my wallet goes in. I plucked the paper up and noticed some writing carefully inscribed on it. After moving into some light the word "ZOE :)" appeared in yellow highlighter.

This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's truly a blessing. The little note was perfectly placed, not only physically, but timely. I needed that little bit of encouragement to reassure me that I did the right thing.

Thank God for little notes.

0 comments:

 

Syn/Ack © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness